Faunce Community Church derives its name from the Rev. William Faunce, a grocer and itinerant minister, who in 1834 started church services in the "Little red Schoolhouse" in what was known as Long Pond Village. Many referred to it as the "Church in the Wilderness".
Rev. William Faunce was born in Plymouth in 1813. The son of Solomon and Eleanor Bradford Faunce, he married Matilda Bradford and they had six children. Rev. Faunce’s earliest American ancestor, John Faunce, came to Plymouth aboard "The Ann" in 1623.
Rev. Faunce had a deep love for people, and conducted worship services in the schoolhouse for more than fifty years. He also ministered in the Long Pond area by sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ, and performing marriage and funeral services.
Early in 1888 Mr. William T. Faunce, a Boston banker and son of Rev. Faunce, conceived the idea of building a chapel in honor of his father, for those people his father had served so long. On June 23, 1888, Rev. Faunce, then 76 years old, offered the prayer of dedication of the newly built Long Pond Chapel. On April 17, 1898, Rev. Faunce went home to be with the Lord. His life is still an example of a Christian committed to serving the Lord.
After the death of Rev. Faunce the chapel had many preachers from various denominations filling the pulpit. One was Rev. Oliver W. Bell, who arrived in 1923 and realized the chapel needed to be organized. On July 1, 1927, the newly incorporated and newly named Faunce Memorial Union Church held it’s first meeting with thirty-five members.
"Faunce Church" is no longer the "church in the wilderness" but the "church in the neighborhood", and our goal is to carry on Rev Faunce’s work of bringing Christ’s love to the people of South Plymouth.